Forum - Questions & Answers

Mar 5th, 2014 - billings123 74 


when billing for Registered Dieticians, Psychologist, and Chiropractic, do we need to have the "referring" phsycians name and NPI in box 17 and 17B of the CMS1500 or is it the rendering provider's informations that goes in this fields?
If the patient is self referred, do we put the rendering provider's info? Thank you.

Mar 6th, 2014 - shanbull 51 

re: Referring

This is generally dictated by whether the health plan requires an MD referral for such services. For Medicare, it will be the rendering provider's NPI. For some plans, it can be left blank as it's assumed the patient self-referred.

Mar 6th, 2014 - billings123 74 

re: Referring

So for Medicare, sinced it's the same as the Rendering, would the Dr be labeled as the following:
(DN)- Referring

Home About Terms Privacy

innoviHealth® - 62 E 300 North, Spanish Fork, UT 84660 - Phone 801-770-4203 (9-5 Mountain)

Copyright © 2000-2024 innoviHealth Systems®, Inc. - CPT® copyright American Medical Association